There are a lot of ways to be productive and just as many productive things to do. But there are probably even more ways that you can waste your time at any given moment.
Be it social media, Netflix, or just general procrastination, distraction tugs at us all day.
I know from my own experience that TV plays a major role in knocking me off my productivity game.
It doesn’t matter if it’s a movie I’ve seen before or a show that I’m not interested in. If the TV’s on, my attention is focused on it.
Now I should say, there’s nothing wrong with watching TV or relaxing overall. In fact, I recommend it. Everyone needs to rest from time to time and if TV or social media is your way to take some “me-time” than go ahead.
The problem, however, doesn’t have to do with your downtime. The problem has to do with your up-time.
Productive Things To Do When Bored
A distraction here or there isn’t a big deal. And if you find yourself bored then you may welcome it.
The real issue, however, is the boredom itself.
If you have time to be bored, than you have time to change your life.
Boredom is a sign that things are comfortable and easy. It’s time to challenge yourself! See your boredom as an opportunity to realign your goals, learn something new, or change your life’s path.
Don’t let distraction creep in and derail you from doing something amazing.
Instead, push yourself and use your time wisely. Create a life that your younger self would look up to in awe.
You only get so much time in a day and once it’s gone there’s no getting more of it. By focusing on the things that bring you closer to your goals, you will be able to create the best life for yourself.
But you won’t get there if you squander your time or use it inefficiently.
The key to creating your ideal life is based around 24 hours. You get 24 hours each day. If you use that time wisely and make those hours count, you will be able to:
- Reach your goals faster than ever before
- Works towards and achieve your ideal life
Ways to be productive
Your time is incredibly valuable. Utilize what you have and start making progress in the right direction.
If you’re bored, if you have too much downtime, then it’s fantastic that you’re here! Why? Because clearly you recognize that a change is needed and you’re willing to make that happen.
That’s what this is all about – understanding what works and what doesn’t work with your time, seeing what needs to be changed, and doing something about it.
In part, that’s why I created our productivity and time management course – to help you fully utilize the 24 hours that you get each day.
With that in mind, below is a list of productive things to do when bored that will bring you closer to your ideal life. Take a look and start making a positive change today.
Productive Things To Do: Personal development
Personal development is all about being the best you can be. It’s about making incremental improvements each and every day and continuously leveling yourself up.
Whether you’re looking for productive things to do at work, school, or home, personal development is a great place to start.
Check out these productive things that you can do for personal development.
- Learn something new. It could be dance lessons, a pottery class, or some new time management skills.
- Hone your talent. Figure out what you’re good at and work on getting even better.
- Read a book. There are a lot of amazing personal development books that you can read. I recommend The 4 Hour Work Week by Tim Ferriss. He will make you see your time in a whole new way.
- Visit your nearest library. Free books and (nearly) infinite knowledge!
- Visit a museum.
- Listen to some music for productivity to get you focused and in the zone.
- Give a podcast a good listen. They’re perfect to listen to while commuting, making dinner, you name it.
- Admit your mistakes and learn from them. The journey of personal development is forever ongoing.
- Create an inspirational room for yourself.
- Write a letter to your future self. I wrote one to myself a few years back and will have it locked away for a total of 10 years. I can’t wait to see if my predictions came true!
Productive Things To Do: Experience new things
Trying out new things is an excellent way to help you learn and grow. By pushing yourself out of your comfort zone, or by testing out new things that interest you, you open yourself up to a whole slew of new opportunities.
Now it doesn’t matter if you’re looking for productive things to do at home, on vacation, or at some other place. There are always new things that you could be trying out!
Take a look at the list below and get inspired to experience something new.
- Go to a concert. If you’ve never been to a concert, make it happen. Concerts are an energy boosting way to experience live music.
- Stargaze. Watch the night sky and stare in awe at the vastness of it all.
- Camp. You’ll feel much closer to nature and get a much needed break from technology for the night.
- For the sake of work life balance, try something outside of work that you find intriguing (like yoga!)
- Teach yourself something amazing. Search on YouTube for whatever skill you find interesting.
- Learn a foreign language.
- Then visit the land of the language you learned!
- Take a course to help you better master your time.
- If you’re single, go speed dating for a unique experience.
- Bonus: start a bullet journal to help keep track of the new activities you’re doing. Here are a few bullet journal ideas to help you get started.
Productive Things To Do: Future planning
Planning for the future is one of the best ways that you can spend some down time. Plus, it’s fun to do!
Look at where you are today and imagine where you’d like to be tomorrow, and the next day, and the day after that. With your plan for the future ready, you can start taking action and moving forward in that direction.
With that in mind, here are some things that you can do to start taking action and in turn create a brighter future for yourself.
- Learn how to invest your money.
- Sign up for a free email course. It’s a great way to boost your knowledge for free.
- Set up a savings account. It’s an awesome way to save for tomorrow, today.
- Spend time with those that push and challenge you.
- Meet up with someone that you can learn from.
- Start a side hustle. Side hustles are a great way to turn your money into (hopefully) more money.
- Implement a few time management strategies to make better use of your time.
- Create a plan to pay off any debt.
- Plan a trip to a destination you’re excited about.
- Bonus: Utilize productivity hacks to be more effective with your time and to get even more done.
Productive Things To Do: Do something fun
One of my favorite productive things to do is quite simple – do something fun! It’s similar to the section above (Experience new things), but something fun doesn’t necessarily need to be something new.
As long as you find joy in doing something, whatever it is (within reason), that’s a great use of your time.
Here are some productive things to do with that in mind.
- Tour a city. New tourist attraction open? Visit it. Hot new restaurant just pop up? Give it a try.
- Go for a bike ride by the beach.
- Get involved in a community sports program.
- Play board games. Grab some friends and engage together.
- Practice origami.
- Make a How-To video for YouTube and share your knowledge or talents with the world.
- Build paper airplanes and have a competition in your backyard.
- Build a blanket fort with your friends, kids, or significant other.
- Challenge yourself to get out of your comfort zone.
- Bonus: Need help deciding where to start? Here are some tips on productive decision making.
Productive Things To Do: Get healthy
One of the best uses of your time, and one of the top productive things to do, is to get healthy. Whether you strive for a healthier mind or body, being healthy will allow you to feel better, look better, and do better.
Plus, being healthy will allow you to have more energy. That’s energy that you can use to work towards your goals.
With that in mind, here are some productive things you can do to get healthier.
- Watch a beautiful sunset or sunrise. Great for both the mind and body.
- Do yoga or try meditating. This will enhance your spiritual development as well as train your mind and body to become more mindful.
- Go for a swim.
- Climb a mountain or go for a hike.
- Get motivated and try something new physically.
- Take a walk. Walking always helps to clear my mind.
- Go airplane mode and take a break from technology for a little while. If you like that idea, here are some other great time management tips.
- Visit your local farmer’s market and get some fresh produce.
- Imagine what your ideal healthy-self looks like. Create a plan to achieve that body for optimal health.
- Exercise. It’s an awesome mood booster, stress reliever, and ideal body maker (for #9 above).
- Bonus: Utilize different apps to help you make progress in the right direction. When it comes to your time, here are some of the best productivity apps.
Productive Things To Do: Get organized
To conclude our list of productive things to do when bored, you should try getting organized.
Personally, I love getting organized. I love putting things in their place and preparing for whatever I plan on doing next. Whether that’s planning out my day or clearing off my desk, I find getting organized to be almost therapeutic in a way.
So with that in mind, here are some various ways that you can get organized in your own life.
- Create email templates for personal and professional email. It will save you so much time! If you like that, here are some other time management activities that you can do.
- Plan out your day or week ahead of time.
- Plan your meals for the upcoming week.
- Clean out the dreaded junk drawer.
- Organize your kitchen drawers.
- Speaking of the kitchen, organize your spices.
- Make backups of everything. That’s a must.
- Get a money management app and say goodbye to overspending.
- Check the expiration date of your canned goods.
- Create a list of your passwords and store it in a safe place.
It’s safe to say that there are a lot of productive things to do when bored. Start working toward something amazing today and give one of the items above a try.
With each new experience, you’ll learn more about yourself. In time, you’ll formulate an even better understanding of what motivates and inspires you. And with those ideas in mind, you can create new goals and start building a better future off of that.
So say goodbye to boredom and say hello to creating your ideal life.
It will take patience and persistence, but you can achieve it by making use of those 24 hours that you get each day.